Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Fresh Off The Easel

Work in progress


Finished Painting

One of my goals for this year is to really focus on large, more dynamic paintings. By-the-way, I consider myself more a painter than an artist. So my latest piece, Grand Palm, 30" x 40" oil on canvas, is a painting I'm extremely proud of. First off, I had a concept in mind... a Palm tree looking up from the ground. I LOVE the design of palms, actually, I love the design of nature, but especially palms. And then there is the color! I mean, take a look next time. The color that nature provides just blows me away!

I began this painting with a value sketch, a simple pencil study. Which is the way I like to start each painting. I also use reference photos. In this case, I took a day and shot many Palm trees that I though would work. I took everything back to the studio and believe it or not, the very first tree I shot was the one I ended up using for reference.

Some people are always amazed that artists use photos for reference. But remember, my paintings are my interpretation of the photo. I choose to delete certain items that I think take away from the final painting. I may enhance other parts, re-arrange parts to make a better composition. I can't understand how anyone could ever compare photography to a painting. My opinion is that a good painting ALWAYS blows away a photograph.

Stay on the look out for my next painting. It's underway, an unbelievable composition of a forest. This one is 36" x 48" oil on canvas. It should be finished in time for Mt. Dora. I hope to see you there!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this palm tree. Actually I love all your new landscapes.


Kelli

peaceofjessi said...

You are so good with color, and this is a very dynamic composition. It's beautiful! Great work.

I can't work without a reference of some kind, and while like you I change things dramatically, I still need to know what's going on proportionately, emotionally, with the subject. I couldn't possibly do that from a memory. I could do it from live models, but I don't do my paintings all in one sitting.

Great work, Mary. I really admire your color and composition... and great detail.

Andrea and Kim said...

Lovely Work! I am eager to see more of the things you do! Welcome to the blog world!

Lorna L. Effler said...

Mary, This piece is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!
Hope you make giclees...I'm sure many people will want one!
Lorna

Sharon Crute said...

I love that you've shared the progression of the piece. Wow, the blue background really pulled everything together!

Your blog is off to a great start!