Monday, October 25, 2010

The Hampton Classic

Last January, while at the Jacksonville spring show series, I took a walk around with my camera, as I often do at horseshows. Jamie Gibson was on her way back from a jumper class late in the afternoon on her white mare, Ginger. Ginger was prancing and the dramatic shadows and amazing reds and yellows made me stop and start to shoot a series of photos all the way from the ring to the barn. As it turns out, the very last shot I took was so exciting to me, I decided to make this into a stock painting with the intent on submitting it to The Hampton Classic for their annual poster. For me, being awarded the poster artist for The Hampton Classic has been a goal and a dream from the day I began my portrait/painting career.

In March, I received the email that began with "Thank you for your submission" which at that point I almost stopped reading, but as I continued, I learned that they had selected my piece as 2010's poster image! A great honor and a very prestigious accomplishment.

Here is a sample of the finished poster for The 2010 Hampton Classic.


So I decided that this would be a good opportunity for me to introduce my work to a larger clientele and in August I attended my first Hampton Classic. It was a great experience, held in a beautiful facility on Long Island. The crowds and famous people came to see, participate and shop. Although I had hoped for more commissions than I received, I can't complain about the crowds and the local support for the show.

Here is my booth while working on a commission.



Of course, as luck would have it, we had that pesky little storm come our way which did close the show for Friday afternoon and many barns did decide to leave. I look forward to next year without a storm and hoping for even better recognition in a new market.